Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ground Lamb and Peas

Well actually in this case it is Ground Turkey and Peas. I had a hankering for Ground Lamb and Peas. After searching through my freezer, I found no ground lamb, but I did have ground turkey. Further inspection revealed that I didn't have any frozen peas either... I guess I had used them all up. I did find a bag of frozen mixed vegetable, so I grabbed the bag and sat down in my chair with a bowl and sorted out the peas until I had 1 cup. My son was visiting and caught me and gave me the "Rainman" jokes about sorting out the vegetables. Anyway I now had the cup of frozen peas I needed for the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 T vegetable oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds (or brown mustard seeds)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chopped red onion
5 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 or 2 serrano peppers, finely chopped
2 dried bay leaves
1 lb ground lamb (beef, turkey or chicken will work too
1 cup frozen peas (buy the frozen peas separately... it's a lot easier than sorting mixed veggies.
1 can rotel chopped Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp garam masala (more if you like)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
chopped fresh cilantro

Heat the mustard seeds in the oil over medium heat. Cover pan until seeds stop popping. Add the onions, garlic, peppers, bay leaves,and cinnamon; saute until onions are soft. Brown the ground meat in a separate pan - drain fat and add to the onion mixture.
Stir in peas and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, salt, garam masala, and yogurt. Cook until thoroughly warm and remove from heat. Stir in cilantro.

Serve with Pita wedges and Tzaziki sauce.

I make a simple Tzaziki sauce:
1/2 cucumber seeded and chopped
1 T finely chopped red onion
1 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 T lemon juice
1/2 t salt
dash cayenne
1/2 tsp dried dill

Whisk sauce ingredients together and chill for at least 1 hour. Instead of dry dill you can use fresh dill, cilantro, or mint to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment