Friday, January 27, 2012

Roasted Vegetable Soup

I received my weekly CSA delivery yesterday and immediately turned to the internet in search of a recipe to use some of my bounty. I found this terrific recipe:

Roasted Vegetable Soup

Ingredients
2 lb carrots, peeled
1/2 lb parsnips, peeled
1/2 lb turnips, peeled
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 lg onion, chopped
2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
4 c low-sodium chicken broth
Directions
1 CUT carrots, parsnips, and turnips into 3” x 1/2” sticks. Toss with 1 Tbsp oil on baking sheet. Bake in 450F oven, stirring occasionally, 40 minutes.
2 HEAT 2 Tbsp oil in pot over medium heat. Add onion and thyme. Cook 4 minutes. Add roasted vegetables, broth, and 2 cups water. Simmer 15 minutes.
3 PUREE in blender (in batches). Season to taste.
NUTRITION (per 1 1/3-cup serving)
168 cal, 4 g pro, 24 g carb, 6 g fiber, 7 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 167 mg sodium

I made only minor changes to the recipe. I only puréed the soup partially and since I did not have fresh thyme I substituted 1 Tablespoon of dried thyme. I had a pork chop left over from dinner last night, so I cut it up into small cubes and added it just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment