Saturday, March 5, 2011

I Get Sooo Wound Up

I think I need to moderate my online activities a bit more closely. I get way too wrapped up in current events and ignorant people. I know I can't change the world, but I can't just sit back and shut up anymore. I saw this video first thing this morning and it infuriated me so much, I wrote an e-mail to Councilwoman Pauly and let her know what I thought about her.



Even as a child I used to dream that someday the world would be color blind when it came to skin color or cultural differences. Children are so naive. I am proud that I was raised in an area with cultural diversity. I was always excited to meet someone from another country. I wept today when I saw a video from Orange County where people were harassing Muslim families as they were arriving for a fund raiser. I thought the world had come so far, and now certain groups are trying to drive the world in reverse.

SB1070 in Arizona is just one example of the intolerance that is plaguing this nation. Hispanics have been a part of this country since well before I was born and I hope that they will continue to be a part of our country long after I am gone.

People of middle eastern descent, Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Sikh, Zoroastrian, et. al. have as much right to be here as any other American. To watch ignorant people telling people to go home when they are already home just pisses me off.

Although, the majority of Americans identify themselves as Christian, that does not make us a Christian country. We have no national religion and never have had one. Sharia Law simply put is "God's Law". It is derived from the scripture of the Qur'an and living by the example set forth by the Islam prophet Muhammad. I'm not going to do a lesson on Islam or the Qur'an. I'm just pointing out some similarities. Under Sharia Law, women were historically afforded more rights than in other religions. That has changed since the Western world has adopted more open minded attitude regarding women. Yes there are some sects of Islam that are very restrictive of women's rights but these are a minority - for example: The Taliban

Both Islam and Judaism recognize Jesus as a prophet but not the son of God/Allah. Muslims, Jews, and Christians originated with the creation of Adam and Eve. Moses and Abraham are prominent figures in all 3 religions. All 3 practice hygienic laws proscribed by Moses and practiced by Jesus and Muhammad. Western countries adapted laws based on Judeo-Christian tradition which in some cases may conflict with Sharia law. That's enough of my babble on this issue. There are many texts that can explain is better than I can. Start with the Qur'an. It is actually a very lovely book. There are English translations available.



No comments:

Post a Comment