Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Time to Step Back and Breathe

I have been spending way too much time trying to stay up with current events and politics. Having MS makes it difficult to keep up. I have gotten to where I can't sleep at night. I seem to have developed a pattern of sleeping every second night. My MS symptoms are getting worse. I have constant tingling in my arms and legs and severe spasms in my lower back. I am having a harder time walking. I run into walls a lot more these days.

I am going to try to limit my time reading the news and commenting on Facebook, Myspace, Digg, et.al. As much as I would like to, I can't save the world. I need to get my own house in order first. I have very little energy for housework these days, but it has to be done.

Changing subjects, I harvested my brussels sprouts today. I have a great recipe for Brussels Sprouts in Wine:

BRUSSELS SPROUTS IN WINE

1 1/2 pounds small Brussels sprouts
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon medium dry white wine
1 tablespoon lemon juice

In a large bowl full of lightly salted water, soak the sprouts for 10 minutes to clean them, then rinse under running water. Trim off and discard any tough outer leaves. Cut each sprout in half lengthwise, and then thinly slice them crosswise.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium high heat. Saute the sprouts until they begin to turn golden, then add the salt, pepper and wine and cook for about 4 minutes more, or until barely limp (the wine will change the cooking method from sauteing to steaming). Stir in the lemon juice, taste for seasoning, and serve immediately.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

I don't remember where I got this recipe. It was either Food Network or Cooking Light.

2 comments:

  1. Yum, this sounds good. Maybe I will try growing brussel sprouts this year. I have never been a big fan, but they aren't so bad actually.

    Sorry to hear about your MS, it is hard to keep up with all the goings on in the world. Actually spending too much time at the computer might aggrivate it as well just from the radiation that comes out of the monitor and whatnot. It seems more info is coming out about how all of our electrical gadgets are affecting our nervous systems. Have you heard of Earthing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. I had not heard of Earthing until just now. I looked it up and hope to read more about it.

    ReplyDelete